Thursday, October 29, 2009

Music, the fabric of our Lives

Music, the fabric of our lives. Have you ever thought about how true that statement is? Whether you consider yourself a music lover or not there is no denying the fact that music holds a special place in our hearts and memories. I let my itunes play on random tonight and with each new song came a memory or experience from the past. For me, most significant events in my life have music or a certain song tied to them. While you may not even realize it's happening at the time, when you hear the song later on it triggers a trip down memory lane. How dull would life be without music to provide a soundtrack to it? Movies wouldn't be the same, or how about a first dance? That wouldn't even exist. Just sitting her thinking about it several memories and the songs that go with them spring to mind. Every time I hear Bruce Hornsby or Bob Seeger I think of long van rides to Arkansas, Texas, and even California with my family. When I hear "Now to HIm" by Acappella I think of church banquets of so long ago. When I hear Stephen Speaks I think of the summer before I went to College and when I hear "Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe I think of the summer of '97 when my sister was an intern in St. Louis, that song played on the radio all the time that summer. When I hear "Out of my head" by Fastball I think of riding in the van on a mission trip, I requested that song so much I think Isaac Waters was ready to kill me. When I hear Cartel I think of Spring Break senior year and when I hear "This Love" I think of my roommate and sophomore year. When I hear "I have and always will" I think of one of my dearest friends. Of course the list could go on and on. So for anyone out there reading this, I am curious about your experiences, what music brings back memories for you? Do tell......

1 comment:

  1. Jon, I am not a singer like you, but music definitely does that for me too! I think that it takes me back the most powerfully when I am singing songs at church, camps, youth group events, because I think about all the places that I have been when I have sang that song and the people that I was with...times when I was in church with my family, when I was in the youth group, chapel at ACU, interning in St. Louis, Neotez, and now Central :) So many happy memories. One particular song that takes me back (and special thanks to you) is "The Way You Look Tonight." I love love love that Blake and I got to dance outside to that song after our wedding, and I think that it was so cool that you, as one of Blake's very best friends, sang it. Thanks so much for that musical memory :)

    ReplyDelete