Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Here's the Answer, Now what's the Question?

What's next? It's a question that we all wonder from time to time. It's a question that usually brings with it uncertainty and doubt. If you are in a place where this question seems relevant it probably means a chapter in your life is closing and the next one is waiting to be written. If this question were on a test it would be an essay question, not a math equation. What I mean by this is that there is no one way that people answer this question. The answer is not always the same. Depending on who you are and what direction you want to go in life, your answer will differ from that of anyone else's. For some people it's a nerve racking time as the answer to the question will determine the rest of their lives. I mean honestly, who wants to botch that decision? Others grab the bull by the horns so to speak, and relish the opportunity that a new direction in life yields. And the answers go on and on, a different one for every human being on the planet.
As for myself, when I think about the future my stomach seems to clench up and I lose my appetite. Not really but you get the idea. And so I've discovered a solution to handling these times and I want to share it with you. Now you may be saying " But I don't lose my appetite" and to that I say congratulations, this still applies to you. This solution I have is nothing new, in fact it's been around for thousands of years. The incredible part about that is, despite the age of this novel solution we as humans fail to use it more often than not. I am as guilty of that as anyone else I'm sad to say. But tonight, tonight was different. While I was praying tonight, about my future and what was next, I said this, " God, You know my hopes and fears, the desires of my heart. I lift those up to You, and my life is Yours to do with what you will." It's the first time those words had come out of my mouth in a long time, and I'm thankful they did. The peace that filled my heart was almost instantaneous. The things that I had been struggling with no longer seemed so insurmountable. The worldly nothingness I had been clinging to lost its appeal. Yeah, there's no doubt about it. Letting go was the best the thing I've done in a long time, and I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jon. Letting go is something that I struggle with too. I am glad that you are feeling a peace that only God can give. I will be taking your recommendation. Come visit any time! Blake has a soccer jersey ready and waiting :)

    ReplyDelete